Keevil War Memorial

The War Memorial in Keevil sits outside of St Leonard's Church in the area now used as a turning area and church car park.

Below, in italics, is a report prepared by George Goodwin, Clerk to Keevil Parish Council addressed to the Councillors, when the Parish Council assumed ownership and responsibility for the maintenance of the War Memorial.

Keevil War memorial was built after the First World War and the construction costs were raised by public subscription. It was dedicated on 26th June 1920 by the Rt. Hon. Walter Long. 65,000 War Memorials were built after World War 1, mostly by public subscription. They were erected on donated land but no funds were raised for maintenance and nobody actually “owned” a large number of them.



(Photograph from Volume 1 A Book of Keevil p109 showing the unveiling of the War Memorial by Mr Walter Long of Rude Ashton {created first Viscount Long of Wraxall in 1921} A further tier was added to the plinth to record the World War II casualties)

As a result, many memorials were demolished when they became too dangerous to be left standing. To prevent further loss of War Memorials, the government passed several Acts giving local authorities powers to maintain, repair and ultimately to assume ownership of War Memorials where no responsible person or body could be identified.

In 2006, the late Alan Thom
sett assisted by the Parish Clerk, George Goodwin, researched Keevil’s War Memorial and was unable to discover any evidence of ownership by anybody. Therefore, Keevil Parish Council passed a resolution assuming ownership of the War Memorial.

After some minor maintenance and replanting, the Parish Council decided that the War memorial should be cleaned and restored. Specialist contractors were identified with the assistance of the War Memorial Trust and a report was produced on the memorial’s condition and recommended maintenance. It was estimated that the works would cost about £1,800 plus VAT. The Parish Council had set aside some funds for the work and applied to the Melksham Area Board for a 50/50 grant to complete the funding required. The grant was approved in July and the work was carried out in mid-September.

The War memorial stone work was cleaned using an environ
mentally friendly non-abrasive process, some mortar was replaced and the cleaned stone was then coated in a protective wax. The coating will need replacing every 3 to 5 years to protect the stone work from the weather. The name plates were cleaned with hot linseed oil and are now free of mould etc and are again clearly readable.

Keevil residents now have a restored War memorial that will be the centre of our Armistice commemoration and which is a true memorial to the local people who gave their lives in two World Wars.



 

Photograph taken 11th November 2012 after the Remembrance service that morning


World War I

Volume 2 - A Book of Keevil p 49 describes the parish in World War I and in particular the Roll of Honour listing those who served in the Armed Services during this War. The purpose was to recognise that men from the area were serving in the Army or Navy and to also encourage others to volunteer. The image below shows a date of August 3 1914, which was the day that War was declared but it seems apparent that it would have been printed much later.




Sadly, when examining the list of names and knowing the massive numbers of casualties, a total of 18 men from the parish lost their lives. Their names are engraved on the lower plinths


George Dixon
1st Wiltshire Regiment

Albert Wareham
1st Wiltshire Regiment

Frank Bodman
2nd Wiltshire Regiment

James Andrews
4th Wiltshire Regiment

George Hicks
4th Wiltshire Regiment

Jacob Bodman
Leading Seaman Royal Navy

Herbert Swanborough
Royal Navy

Frederick Clifford
Royal Garrison Artillery 

Victor Clifford
Royal Garrison Artillery

Herbert Ludlow
Sergeant 1st Wiltshire Regiment

Edward Jeffries
 Machine Gun Corp

Thomas Ludlow
Royal Army Service Corp

Edward Gilbert
Royal Berks Regiment

Stephen O'Leary
Wiltshire Training Reserves

Robert H Lane
Lance Corporal Worcester Regiment

Leonard Griffin
Somerset Light Infantry

Frederick C Wilmutt
1st Hants Regiment

William C Gumm
Royal West Kent Regiment













World War II

It is well known that RAF Keevil played a major part during the 1939-45 conflict. The airfield still has the remnants of many of the former buildings and in particular the hanger used to build Spitfires, still stands and is in use adjacent to Steeple Ashton.

RAF Keevil was also known for its significant part in the D Day and Arnhem operations. Volume 2 - A Book of Keevil contains many detailed accounts of the use of the airfield, the differing stories of the crewmen and women and many wonderful photographs. 

Keevil's War Memorial is not directly dedicated to the men who lost their lives in these operations who were not from the Parish but sadly there was the need to add names to the additional plinth.

M. Leonard Gingell
Royal Artillery

George E Perrett
Royal Pioneer Corp










You must not use our website in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity. The majority of content posted in this forum is created by members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Parish Council or the webmaster. We accept no responsibility for any loss or harm incurred and are not responsible for the content of material belonging to other organisations.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT